Thursday 12 November 2009

L'étranger Camus

Well it's arrived.  I ordered the CDs of Albert Camus reading his own L'étranger and I've heard the first part.  When I studied the book at A level as a 17 year old I had no idea such a thing was available and now it is 35 years later.  Not being an actor maybe he's not the most fantastic reader-no Steven Fry-but the authenticity is giving me a real tremor of excitement.    I also search out Camus and found him on the www.ina.fr site.   I am certainly going to do some resources for www.alevelfrench.com but am not yet sure in what format.   I still can't decide what to make of L'étranger although I can confess to some bizarre behaviour when revising for the exams when I was doing A levels.

I used to get a psychology mag and it was when contextual memory was being talked about perhaps for the first time.   That's to say that if you were under a tree wearing a straw hat when you learned something-the next time you were there you would be in a better position to remember the same facts.

I reread the whole of L'étranger in a hot bath which I had to keep topping up to simulate the effect of the heat issue.  I didn't try to get the dazzling light side of things going.   Just one of my little pecadilloes.     I sat in the middle of a field to revise my Wilfred Owen war poetry.  I guess I'd better stop there!

No comments:

Post a Comment