Saturday 7 November 2009

Histoire de l'immigration

Getting students to understand the historical perspective of immigration and the sheer diversity of the situation is very difficult.   The Cité nationale de l'histoire de l'immigration website has an excellent presentation on the history of immigration into France from the year dot.  The sequence of pictures and audio summarizes what has happened since 1945 very well although parts of it could easily be supplemented by others articles or video from the ina.fr website.

I have been wanting to work on this history for ages and this week have finally gritted my teeth to get this done.  Alongside the A level French resources for the WJEC films I want to include background material and thought that this would be a good meaty addition for La Haine and to a lesser extent for Le Grand Voyage.  Of course it will also be a very useful introduction for the immigration side of the social and political topic.

Because there is a lot of difficult subject from the vocabulary point of view as well as the history I would suggest using Interlex (see details on www.alevelfrench.com  right hand column) which can be downloaded for free.  The Interlex file I've created can be added to the French folder in the Program Files folder (usually at the root of the C drive on your computer).    Students then select the history of immigration file and study the words and expressions in isolation before having a crack at the exercises in the program (multichoice and type in the right answer).

I have created a range of types of exercise to help maximize the benefit of the listening side althought teachers could exploit the excellent graphics on a white board first.     I will be making an answer file available shortly and also going back over the tape script-there are some difficult bits I'm struggling to catch with my dodgy hearing. 

I hope the work is useful to at least someone.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! This will be invaluable to my students! Is there a transcript of the film? I think it could be helpful for reading practice as the talk very quickly in the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immigration Law Firm provides a friendly, yet professional atmosphere where clients of all nationalities are made to feel at home.according to me this is best blog posting with real data and information . I found good Immigration law firm.
    Thank's
    and
    Regard's
    Immigration law firm

    ReplyDelete