Sunday 29 July 2012

Le gamin au vélo

Whilst down at the Olympics I did my usual trawl of the language bookshops and came away with Le gamin au vélo film (the kid with a bike) which I've just watched avidly  Whilst it would scarcely qualify as a telefilm in English I think the storyline would appeal to young people from year 9 upwards although the main protagonist Cyril is only 12.   Young Cyril is desperate to reconnect with his father who has dumped him in a children's home.    He is befriended by a kindly hairdresser Samantha who agrees to take him in at the weekend;   she takes her role very seriously and fights to keep him on the straight and narrow.

There are several interesting themes in the film which would tie in nicely with Les 400 coups which itself has a universal appeal.     I'm thinking it would be a good film to develop for encouraging take up of languages at A level;   I may well develop exercises for this purpose on alevelfrench.com  



The other treasure I bought was the cartoon version of Le grand meaulnes. A very attractive book with lots of detailed architectural pictures of the school around which the story is centred. Visited this many years ago when I was in the sixth form-very much like the infants school I attended!

No comments:

Post a Comment